| 开启辅助访问 DIY
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Discovering Daphne Mayo(原创)

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
janetfm99 发表于 2008-10-31 02:04:11
她是出生于昆士兰的澳洲著名女雕刻家,曾在UQ工作过,著名雕刻作品中有我们大家熟悉的Brisbane City Hall 大钟下面的 The Progress of Civilization 和位于 Brisbane’s Anzac Square墙壁上的The Queensland Women’s WarMemorial.

我们曾从这两个雕刻下面经过很多次,却从来没有停下脚步来仔细看看和想想它们的来历,也许你从未想到过这样的作品是出自于一位身材瘦弱的女雕刻家之手。

她曾与澳大利亚著名画家
Lloyd Rees定下婚约,而最后为了事业放弃了甜蜜的爱情。(Brisbane City Hall Museum里收藏了大量Lloyd Rees的作品

当见习版主以来都没有为“最新焦点”这个板块做过什么特别贡献,现在把以前得过7的
一个assignment发上来,也算是布里斯班当地的一个新闻stories吧。

其中有一些照片是在图书馆申请获得允许以后拍下的女雕刻家Daphne Mayo的珍藏照片,她使用过的工具以及她和父母通信的亲笔字迹和书信内容。只希望给大家一个entertainment的作用,请勿用做它用,不然我就犯了copyright的大罪了。(夸张了一点点,呵呵~~不过是真话)

[ 本帖最后由 janetfm99 于 2008-10-31 02:05 编辑 ]

[ 本帖最后由 janetfm99 于 2008-11-1 13:45 编辑 ]

DSCN1280.JPG (149 KB, 下载次数: 15)

DSCN1280.JPG

DSCN1281.JPG (131.88 KB, 下载次数: 15)

DSCN1281.JPG

DSCN1262.JPG (183 KB, 下载次数: 15)

DSCN1262.JPG
收藏收藏 分享分享
沙发
 楼主| janetfm99 发表于 2008-10-31 02:12:09
Discovering Daphne

The Daphne Mayo Archive, Fryer Library,The University of Queensland

Daphne Mayo Archive

Daphne Mayo(1895-1982), one of Queensland’s very well known artists, was a significant advocate for the arts in Queensland.

Daphne’s bequeathal is housed in the Fryer Library which holds significant collections of publications and manuscripts of some of Australia's leading writers. Her personal letters, included in the Archive, were also donated to the University of Queensland Library.

There are 95 boxes in her donation, including artworks, writings, notes, records, correspondence, tools and photographs, as well as her letters between her parents, artists and personal friends.

Cassie Doyle, Liaison librarian, Fryer Library, is currently sorting the Archive particularly the Daphne Mayo’s letters. She said, “This is a very large archive, including 95 boxes of artworks, letters, and news clippings, but it is apriceless gift from Daphne Mayo to the Fryer Library.”

The Fryer Library, named after Jack Fryer,is the Special Collections section of the University of Queensland Library. It has an extensive Australian studies collection of published and unpublished material. The Fryer Library is not only a rich store of rare books, manuscripts, theses, pictorial collections and architectural drawings, butthere is a also strong emphasis on Australian literature, history, Aboriginaland Torres Strait Islander studies, art and architecture.

“So far, many people have been to view the Daphne Mayo Archive for the purpose of art research, community and media interest and some even for film making. ”Cassie said, “The Fryer Library is open to everyone and welcomes all researchers to examine its collections.”

To honour and commemorate the life of Ms. Mayo, the University of Queensland has established the Annual Daphne Mayo Visiting Professorship in Visual Culture. The 4th Daphne Mayo lecture was held in the University of Queensland Art Museum, 7 August,2008. The lecturer mentioned not only the great contribution that Daphne Mayo has made to Queensland art but also the importance of this valuable resource in the FryerLibrary.

[ 本帖最后由 janetfm99 于 2008-11-1 16:46 编辑 ]

未命名.bmp (927.42 KB, 下载次数: 15)

未命名.bmp

未命名1.bmp (643.31 KB, 下载次数: 15)

未命名1.bmp
板凳
 楼主| janetfm99 发表于 2008-10-31 02:19:41
Independent Woman

Daphne Mayo was an important independent female artist from the late 1920s to the late 1960s. She was the first female artist to be awarded a gold medal for sculpture at London's Royal Academy.

Daphne created a lot of local works including: The Brisbane City Hall Tympanum (1927-30), entitled The Progress of Civilization in the State of Queensland. This sculpture has been considered one of the most important Brisbane sculpture commissions ever awarded; The Queensland Women’s War Memorial (1929-32) located in Brisbane’s Anzac Square is a sandstone relief of a military procession. This pieceis also important for highlighting the important contribution made by women to the tradition of war memorials.

Even though there wasn’t electric power in her studio, it was really difficult for a slight woman to carry out such physical and demanding works asshe did. The sight of Daphne Mayo’s smartly dressed stocky little figure drilling sandstone on a platform sixty feet high in front of the Brisbane City Hall caused such a sensation in 1929 that the Prime Minister and the Governor-General were among the curiousvisitors to her roof-top studio.

Shehas been quoted as saying “I used to get up at first crack of dawn, 4am I think– toast a piece of bread and a slice of bacon – and get into my little car and off to the job. Sometimes it was still sodark when I got there that I had to probably be up about 5am. At 9am it was sohot working against that stone wall that I was nearly fried. Then I packed upmy pneumatic drill and went home and was back again at 4 in the afternoon, working until too dark… ”

All sculptural works located in flourishing sites in Brisbane, with millions of people walking past every year. However, how many people realize these two great sculptures were done by a female artist. Mayo’s sculptures are deserved to be viewed and admired?

Daphne Mayo and her works not only set new artistic standards in Queensland but her dedication to her art certainly set an example in particular for women.

[ 本帖最后由 janetfm99 于 2008-11-1 16:49 编辑 ]

未命名3.bmp (419.92 KB, 下载次数: 15)

未命名3.bmp

未命名4.bmp (1.19 MB, 下载次数: 15)

未命名4.bmp
地板
 楼主| janetfm99 发表于 2008-10-31 02:26:21
“Precious Mamma and Papa”

Daphne Mayo was a well knownQueensland sculptor who has impressed us deeply. However, she was also a commonwoman in her life, but the letters in the Archive reveal a special daughter forher parents. Although she hadn’t spent much of her life living with them,Daphne was the best daughter in the world in her parent’s eyes.

Thesame as all daughters love their parents, despite Daphne’s very busy anddemanding life, she always missed her parents. The many letters in the Archivereveal a very special relationship between Daphne and her parents. As Cassie suggests“She was very much loved and missed by her parents.

Hereis a fine example of their relationship,“My precious Mamma and Papa, I amwriting this letter in the train ….. The smell of birthday cakes is reaching meeven now. My appetite will be well whetted by the time it arrives” Her motherwas always sending her letters ofencouragement, news of home, birthday cakes, clothes and small items fromBrisbane to Sydney which reveals theirlove for their keen interest in her career despite the ill health of both her parents in the latter years asCassie interpreted.

Daphne’stender design won the warm approval of the school and its architect, as oneletter to her parents reveals: “They are very much in love with the design andI like it too… I had the idea in my mind for some time before I could see howto do it. Then, one day I saw how to do it, and it was done!”

For pursuing her own artistic career,Daphne broke off her engagement with Lloyd Rees, who was to become one of Australia’s leading artists. Daphne, being the very independent woman she was,felt both their careers would have been compromised. Cassie hopes to find morecorrespondence between the two artists to reveal more about each other. In amoving tribute to a Daphne Mayo exhibition held at the U.Q. Art Museum in 1979,Lloyd Rees wrote “In ending this tribute to an outstanding Australian artistand a cherished friend, I would like to express my gratitude to the Universityof Queensland for making this exhibition possible”. Their close relationshipremained throughout their lives.

[ 本帖最后由 janetfm99 于 2008-10-31 02:27 编辑 ]

未命名5.bmp (682.15 KB, 下载次数: 15)

未命名5.bmp

未命名6.bmp (369.8 KB, 下载次数: 15)

未命名6.bmp

未命名7.bmp (868.29 KB, 下载次数: 15)

未命名7.bmp

评分

参与人数 1威望 +7 金币 +7 收起 理由
yb1201 + 7 + 7 HD~~

查看全部评分

imbonnie 发表于 2008-10-31 02:27:35
喜欢independent woman。
yb1201 发表于 2008-11-1 10:31:02
我爱新闻,我想转行:Q
justin 发表于 2008-11-1 11:42:16
厉害
﹎īναńсе 发表于 2008-11-1 12:44:10
fryer library?

seems good, i dont know there are some collections in that library
 楼主| janetfm99 发表于 2008-11-1 13:34:03
原帖由 yb1201 于 2008-11-1 10:31 发表
我爱新闻,我想转行:Q

哈哈 欢迎加入!
 楼主| janetfm99 发表于 2008-11-1 13:34:57
原帖由 justin 于 2008-11-1 11:42 发表
厉害

得到老大滴表扬,恩~~把今天记下来,嘻嘻~~~
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

发表新帖 搜索
〓 服务信息 | 推荐服务 〓

Copyright @ 2017 OZYOYO.com. All rights reserved.

分享本页

客服号

公众号